Hello,

Thanks for the summary :)

[Distribute 0.7]
> - easy_install is going to be deprecated ! use Pip !

Apparently there are a couple of things Pip doesn't support:

« It cannot install from eggs. It only installs from source. (Maybe this
will be changed sometime, but it’s low priority.) »
« It is incompatible with some packages that customize distutils or
setuptools in their setup.py files. »
« Maybe it doesn’t work on Windows. At least, the author doesn’t test on
Windows often. »

(from http://pip.openplans.org/#differences-from-easy-install)

> Virtualenv allows you to create an isolated environment to install
> some distribution without polluting the
> main site-packages, a bit like a user site-packages.
>
> My opinion is that this tool exists only because Python doesn't
> support the installation of multiple versions for the same
> distributions.

virtualenv has the virtue of keeping your main installation clean and
manageable. Besides, as someone said, it also allows you to create
completely isolated environments if you want full control over your
deployment
(especially when you're not the sysadmin).

Regards

Antoine.