On 27/01/2010 13:04, David Lyon wrote:
On 27/01/2010 11:21, Michael Foord wrote:
.. If a Python programmer wants
to create an application that is properly 'installed' on Windows then
the *right* thing to do is to create an installer - and that uses
infrastructure not provided by a language, but that is built into
Windows. Tools like Wix are used to build Windows installers,
You're getting a bit confused here. Python has this capability
right now. So it is *already* part of the language and I don't
want it taken out.

No - you're confusing python package installation (should be installed into the Python system) with application installation (should be installed into Program Files).

Distutils supports the former, it doesn't (and shouldn't) support the latter. I think a bit part of the problem with your discussion of package management on Windows is that you don't separate these two *very* different use cases.

Fixed up a little - yes, taken out - no.

Installers aren't built into windows.

The infrastructure for building and using msi installers are part of Windows and the Windows development environment. For example:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370834%28VS.85%29.aspx

Since Python has distutils, and it builds installers, why
shouldn't we be using that? (apart from the fact that it
is slightly broken)

Because this is the wrong way to build installers for Windows applications (at least not what distutils is intended for). Have you ever built and distributed Windows applications?

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/