On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Benjamin Schweizer
<we...@benjamin-schweizer.de> wrote:
> I've updated the traceback.py module; my improved version dumps all
> local variabes from the stack trace, which helps in debugging rare
> problems. You can find details in my latest blog post here:
>
>  http://benjamin-schweizer.de/improved-python-traceback-module.html
>
> and the source code there:
>
>  http://hg.sickos.org/python-traceback/
>
> I'm intrested in comments and improvements - and possibly inclusion in
> the source repository.

This is a nice idea, but to be 100% robust is very hard. I assume
you've already added something to clip large values. But still...
sometimes you find variables with a broken __repr__, and you must
catch various exceptions, and even be prepared for __repr__ not
returning a string. Sometimes there are too many variables to print,
or their names are excessively long. Sometimes __repr__ takes a very
long time. How many of these have you encountered yet? And dealt with?

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)