On 6/21/2010 3:59 PM, Steve Holden wrote:
Terry Reedy wrote:
On 6/21/2010 8:33 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

P.S. (We're going to have a tough decision to make somewhere along the
line where docs.python.org is concerned, too - when do we flick the
switch and make a 3.x version of the docs the default?

Easy. When 3.2 is released. When 2.7 is released, 3.2 becomes 'trunk'.
Trunk released always take over docs.python.org. To do otherwise would
be to say that 3.2 is not a real trunk release and not yet ready for
real use -- a major slam.

Actually, I thought this was already discussed and decided ;-).

This also gives the 2.7 release it's day in the sun before relegation to
maintenance status.

Every new version (except 3.0 and 3.1) has gone to maintenance status *and* becomes the featured release on docs.python.org the day it was released. 2.7 would just spend less time as the featured release on that page.

The Python 3 documents, when they become the default, should contain an
every-page link to the Python 2 documentation (though linkages may be a
problem - they could probably be done at a gross level).

docs.python.org contains links to docs to other releases, both past and future. There is no reason to treat 3.2 specially, or to junk up its pages. The 3.x docs have intentionally been cleaned of nearly all references to 2.x. The current 2.6 and 2.7 pages have no references to corresponding 3.1 pages.

Terry Jan Reedy