On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:47 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar...@v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Am 23.09.2010 16:33, schrieb Barry Warsaw:
>> On Sep 23, 2010, at 10:16 AM, R. David Murray wrote:
>>
>>> I'd *much* rather edit rst files than futz with a web interface when
>>> editing docs.  The wiki also somehow feels "less official".
>>
>> There are dvcs-backed wikis, for example:
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/wikkid
>>
>> :)
>>
>> I don't agree that the wiki feels less official, or perhaps that it *should*
>> feel any less official.  It's an important source of Pythonic information,
>> and
>> to me it feels much more inclusive and open.
>
> This impression comes along with the authority of potential authors.
>
> If only the release manager can write a document, it is very official.
> If any committer can write, but nobody else, it feels less officical.
> If anybody could modify the document, it's even less official.
>
> Since anybody can write to the Python wiki, it feels not very official.
> It's the same reason why people often trust Wikipedia less than a
> printed encyclopedia.

I want to believe your theory (since I also have a feeling that some
wiki pages feel less trustworthy than others) but my own use of
Wikipedia makes me skeptical that this is all there is -- on many
pages on important topics you can clearly tell that a lot of effort
went into the article, and then I trust it more. On other places you
can tell that almost nobody cared. But I never look at the names of
the authors.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)