So if there turns out to be a major security hole or sever bug in 2.7,
then it shouldn't be filed against 2.7? and fixed in a 2.7.x sort of
branch?
In that case, would you just suggest everyone using 2.7 to jump to 3.x?

As long as a 2.x version is supported, filing bugs, branching and even
releasing critical updates is, although rare, a fact of life.