On 9/23/2010 7:12 PM, dar...@ontrenet.com wrote:

So if there turns out to be a major security hole or sever bug in 2.7,
then it shouldn't be filed against 2.7? and fixed in a 2.7.x sort of
branch?
In that case, would you just suggest everyone using 2.7 to jump to 3.x?

As long as a 2.x version is supported, filing bugs, branching and even
releasing critical updates is, although rare, a fact of life.

I am not sure who or what you are responding to. The below is based on the fact the 2.7 is now closed to *new features* and will be as long as the CPython pydev group maintains it. In another post I said that the Versions field is needed for *bugs* as long as we are maintaining 2.7, which will be for several years, because there are and will continue to be 2.7 and 3.x specific bugs.

If you want *new features*, then yes, you need to jump to 3.x. Otherwise you can relax, and perhaps contribute to 2.7 bug fixes if you want.

Now that 2.7 is out, so that feature requests can only be for a future
3.x, I would actually like the tracker to restrict the allowed values
for non-doc feature requests either to 3.2/3.3 or to Not Applicable or
whatever. It is a nuisance that people can still file such for 2.7, for
instance.

--
Terry Jan Reedy