On 3/15/2011 10:58 PM, Lennart Regebro wrote:
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 22:42, Guido van Rossum<gu...@python.org>  wrote:
Fortunately there may not be any more such cases since no new major
versions of Python 2 will be released. So I'm not sure what an update
of PEP 5 will buy us.

That is a good point. But at least making sure no more API's get
deprecated in 3.3 (and preferably 3.4) would go a long way, as we are
likely to still have to support Python 2 in parallell for those
versions as well.

I think it's valid that we should consider the affect of libraries that are trying to support 2.x and 3.y (for some values of x and y) at the same time. Speaking for myself, I'll admit I hadn't thought of this during any discussions of changing APIs. We'll only have to consider this for at most 2 more 3.x releases, if we believe the 5 year timeframe (since 3.0) for most projects to migrate.

But I agree that there's not much we can do in the capsule case. The ship has sailed on that one.

Eric.