On 23 March 2012 03:20, Brian Curtin <br...@python.org> wrote:
>> Breakage of existing tools: Mark Hammond, Paul Moore, and Tim Golden have
>> all expressed that they have existing tools that would break and would need
>> to be adjusted to match the new location of the python.exe, because that
>> location is assumed to be at the root of the python install.
>
> Isn't the proposed "BinaryDir" registry key helpful here? It's not
> like we're telling people to fend for themselves -- we'll tell you
> where it's at.

It won't help me much. I either check a key and fall back on the old
method, or check in bin and fall back on the old method. No major
difference. The key is slightly worse, as I'm already looking in the
filesystem, so why open a registry key, but it's mostly irrelevant.

> I still don't really get how this portion of the proposal, the
> python.exe move to bin, is holding people up. If you're using the
> launcher, the change is invisible. If you're using a setup where bin
> is on the Path, the change is invisible. File associations? Invisible.
> If you're typing out the full path, you have to type "bin" in the
> middle -- this kind of sucks but I think we'll live.

Agreed, it's irrelevant for end users. It's only going to affect tools.

Paul.