It looks to me like a defect in the library (*), and you are making a
reasonable argument that we should fix it in 2.7 to help people be more
prepared for the transition to Python 3.

(*) As Antoine points out, pretty much the only time where it's not a good
idea to switch from str to basestring is when the data is meant to be
binary -- but in this case it's clearly text (we can also tell from what
the same code looks like in Python 3 :-).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)