On 3/2/2014 4:23 PM, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
02.03.14 22:01, Terry Reedy написав(ла):
Is this a programmer error for passing unicode instead of string, or a
library error for not accepting unicode?
Is changing 'isinstance(x, str)' in the library (with whatever other
changes are needed) a bugfix to be pushed or a prohibited API expansion?

Patches which add support for unicode strings were accepted for one
issues (e.g. http://bugs.python.org/issue19099) and rejected for other
issues (e.g. http://bugs.python.org/issue20014 and
http://bugs.python.org/issue20015). Some issues (e.g.
http://bugs.python.org/issue18695) hang in undefined state.

If Antoine and Guido don't reverse themselves, those could perhaps be re-opened. It strikes me as borderline, depending interpretation of 'string'. I am not surprised there have been different resolutions.

--
Terry Jan Reedy