> If setuptools setup.py had something along the lines of a
> "--sys-install" switch that would force the installation to /usr
> rather than /usr/local, I could see us easily adapting our macros to
> just do that all the time. It might even be something that the Debian
> guys would switch to, as the main concern they have is ensuring that
> collisions don't occur. Then if without this switch, pip and other
> things would default to installing to /usr/local when do you do sudo
> pip install, I could see this working fairly well.

FTR: In Debian we already have --install-layout=deb:
https://sources.debian.net/src/python-setuptools/28.7.1-1/debian/patches/install-layout.diff/
https://sources.debian.net/src/python3.5/3.5.2-8/debian/patches/distutils-install-layout.diff/
https://sources.debian.net/src/python2.7/2.7.13~rc1-1/debian/patches/distutils-install-layout.diff/

(it also removes Python version from Egg directories and installs into
dist-packages rather than site-packages)

See also https://wiki.debian.org/Python#Deviations_from_upstream