On 13 December 2016 at 00:12, Neal Becker <ndbeck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently, pip3 --user installed stuff can be updated with:
> pip3 install --upgrade --user  $(pip3 list --user -o | cut -f 1 --delim=' ')
>
> But that isn't obvious/discoverable

Note that upstream considers a bulk-upgrade command to be gated on
using a proper dependency solver:

* https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/59#issuecomment-52424510
* https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/988

However, using a proper dependency solver is in turn gated on having
programmatic access to the relevant dependency constraints *before*
you start installing anything.

The lack of a proper resolver when doing bulk upgrades is also a much
bigger issue for pip/PyPI than it was for yum as the latter relied
heavily on repo curation to limit the chance of conflicts. PyPI by
contrast is a complete free-for-all where blindly upgrading everything
in --user can easily break previously working setups.

So if we wanted to offer this, it would likely need to be as a
standalone (pip installable?) script that was equivalent to the above
bash snippet.

Cheers,
Nick.