On 11 October 2016 at 17:49, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 October 2016 at 02:16, Elliot Gorokhovsky
> <elliot.gorokhov...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So I thought, wow, this will give some nice numbers! But I underestimated
>> the power of this optimization. You have no idea. It's crazy.
>> This is just insane. This is crazy.
>
> Not to take away from the potential for speed improvements (which do
> indeed seem interesting), but I'd ask that folks avoid using mental
> health terms to describe test results that we find unbelievable. There
> are plenty of other adjectives we can use, and a text-based medium
> like email gives us a chance to proofread our posts before we send
> them.

I'd also suggest toning down the rhetoric a bit (all-caps title, "the
contents of this message may be dangerous for readers with heart
conditions" etc. Your results do seem good, but it's a little hard to
work out what you actually did, and how your results were produced,
through the hype. It'll be much better when someone else has a means
to reproduce your results to confirm them. In all honestly, people
have been working on Python's performance for a long time now, and I'm
more inclined to think that a 50% speedup is a mistake rather than an
opportunity that's been missed for all that time. I'd be happy to be
proved wrong, but for now I'm skeptical.

Please continue working on this - I'd love my skepticism to be proved wrong!

Paul