On 10/11/2016 2:30 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
On 11 October 2016 at 17:49, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 12 October 2016 at 02:16, Elliot Gorokhovsky
<elliot.gorokhov...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I thought, wow, this will give some nice numbers! But I underestimated
the power of this optimization. You have no idea. It's crazy.
This is just insane. This is crazy.

Not to take away from the potential for speed improvements (which do
indeed seem interesting), but I'd ask that folks avoid using mental
health terms to describe test results that we find unbelievable. There
are plenty of other adjectives we can use, and a text-based medium
like email gives us a chance to proofread our posts before we send
them.

I'd also suggest toning down the rhetoric a bit (all-caps title, "the
contents of this message may be dangerous for readers with heart
conditions" etc.

I triple the motion. In general, all caps = spam or worse and I usually don't even open such posts. Elliot, to me, all caps means IGNORE ME. I suspect this is not what you want.

> Your results do seem good, but it's a little hard to
work out what you actually did, and how your results were produced,
through the hype. It'll be much better when someone else has a means
to reproduce your results to confirm them. In all honestly, people
have been working on Python's performance for a long time now, and I'm
more inclined to think that a 50% speedup is a mistake rather than an
opportunity that's been missed for all that time. I'd be happy to be
proved wrong, but for now I'm skeptical.

I'm not, in the same sense, even though Elliot suggested that we should be ;-). His key insight is that if all members of a list have the same type (which is a common 'special case'), then we can replace the general, somewhat convoluted, rich-comparison function, containing at least two type checks, with a faster special-case comparison function without any type checks. Since Python floats wrap machine doubles, I expect that float may have the greatest speedup.

Please continue working on this - I'd love my skepticism to be proved wrong!

It may be the case now that sorting a list of all floats is faster than a mixed list of ints and floats. I expect that it definitely will be with a float comparison function.

--
Terry Jan Reedy