On 11/1/2017 1:25 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On 1 November 2017 at 08:50, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu <mailto:tjre...@udel.edu>> wrote:

    In April 2016, after posting the idea to pydev list and getting 'go
    ahead's from Nick Coughlin and someone else, with no negatives, I
    approved Upendra Kumar's GSOC proposal to write a pip gui.  This was
    https://bugs.python.org/issue27051
    <https://bugs.python.org/issue27051>.  On June 20, Ned Deily and
    Nick Coughlin vetoed adding a pip gui anywhere in the stdlib since
    it depended on something not in the stdlib, and perhaps for other
    reasons I don't fully understand.

Clarifying the objection here (since the linked issue is a fairly long one): what I'm against is tightly coupling the pip-gui development & release process to the CPython development & release process when we don't have any compelling reason to do so.

Thank you for clarifying. This is a reason that I did not understand ;-).

Given an independently released pip-gui on PyPI (with its own version numbering and release cadence), then I'd be +1 on bundling that as an optional IDLE addon, ensurepip style.

I already agree in my second response on this thread that pip gui should be on pypi.

A pip gui would be a pip add-on, not an IDLE add-on, just as turtledemo is a turtle add-on even though one can invoke it from the IDLE menu -- as long as turtle and turtledemo are installed.

Issue 27051, write pip gui, is properly a separate issue from https://bugs.python.org/issue23551, start a pip gui, if and when available, from IDLE menu. I am against 'tightly coupling' something to IDLE when there is 'no compelling reason to do so'.

--
Terry Jan Reedy