On 2 November 2017 at 18:46, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> But unfortuately this hasn't been standardized, and there's currently
> no way to do the lookup from the stdlib, so maybe this is not so
> helpful for IDLE...

The entry point file format was recently promoted to a PyPA
interoperability spec (without a PEP, as we documented it as-is, rather
than changing anything):
https://packaging.python.org/specifications/entry-points/

While the point about the standard library lacking the ability to read the
metadata for installed packages still stands, it's also not too hard to
implement a rudimentary version that just iterates over sys.path looking
for `entry_points.txt` files in `*.dist-info` subdirectories.

Cheers,
Nick.