On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 5:21 AM Rhodri James <rho...@kynesim.co.uk> wrote:

> On 25/07/2019 13:14, Batuhan Taskaya wrote:
> > Why do i need to convince a core developer for my PEP? AFAIK the steering
> > council can include non core developers (i know it isn't that current
> case
> > but for the future this is important). And if the last authority who will
> > approve my PEP is the steering council i just need to convince them not
> > core developers.
> >
> > Sponsors can stay (and they should because guidance is important) but thy
> > shouldn't be mandatory.  Let everyone to send their peps.
>
> Consider it this way; if you can't convince a single core developer to
> back your idea, your chances of getting general support, never mind the
> steering council, are very limited.

I'll make it even more concrete: if a single core dev won't sign off on a
PEP idea then the steering council won't consider it. It should be
understood that I came up with the sponsorship idea as a PEP author, core
dev, and steering council member (which the steering council signed off on):

- As a PEP editor because there's only so many of us and so I want PEPs to
be as "done" as they can be by the time they come to the peps repo so
there's less copy-editing
- As a core dev because I don't want a discussion on python-dev to start
until a PEP is in great shape and there won't be rehashing of previous
ideas or any critical points missing
- As a member of the steering council because if not a single core dev
likes an idea then I'm not interested in considering a PEP because the
steering council may help break stalemates but we are not about to against
the entire Python core team (which is what we would be asked to do if not a
single core dev wanted to back a PEP)

In other words the hurdle of finding a sponsor is very deliberate.