On Aug 14, 2019, at 19:48, Wes Turner <wes.tur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Native serialization and deserialization support for either or both JSON5,
> JSON lines, and JSON-LD would be great to have.

PyPI has packages for all of these things (plus the two not-quite-identical
variations on JSONlines, and probably other JSON-related formats as well, not
to mention alternative packages for JSON itself that are better for various
special uses, like pull-parsing giant docs).

I don’t think that there’s any particular reason any of them need to be
included in the stdlib. Especially since at least some of them are still
improving at a rate much faster than the stdlib can.

It might make sense for the json module docs to mention some of the related
formats. But since none of the packages looks like a category killer, I don’t
think that could come with links to specific packages to handle any of them,
just descriptions of what they are and why they’re not the same thing as JSON.

And even that might not be necessary. Most people looking for JSON actually do
need JSON, not, say, JSON-LD, and people who do need JSON-LD probably know they
need it, won’t expect a module called json to provide it, and can go find a
library for it themselves.

Still, if Python had the “loose recommendations from core devs” links thing
discussed in another thread, some of these packages might qualify. If someone
really wants that, they should probably read over what’s been said about it so
far and start a separate thread.