On 10/03/2020 20:18, Christopher Barker wrote:

...much about file naming in theory and practice under Unix, concluding with:

But bytes has a pretty full set of "string like" methods now, so I suppose
it makes sense to add a couple new ones that are related to ones that are
already there.

I disagree. We've headed off down the rabbit-hole of filenames for justification here, but surely pathlib is the correct tool if you are going to be chopping up filenames and path names? It already gives us OS-specific behaviour and the sort of partitioning of name elements that seem to be 90% of what people are asking for.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd