Rhodri James writes:

 > We've headed off down the rabbit-hole of filenames for
 > justification here, but surely pathlib is the correct tool if you
 > are going to be chopping up filenames and path names?

This isn't obvious to me.  The majority of people (among those for
whom my respect is "very high" or better) who hate Python 3 are people
who spend much of their effort on byteslinging applications (Twisted
and Mercurial come immediately to mind).  I don't know if *they* think
these APIs would be more useful than pathlib for them, but it's not
obvious to me the APIs are *not* useful.  I'm thinking of things like
RFC 822-like headers, URI schemes, REST endpoints, yada yada yada.

We should ask *them*.  (By "we" I mean the proponents of the new APIs.)

 > It already gives us OS-specific behaviour and the sort of
 > partitioning of name elements that seem to be 90% of what people
 > are asking for.

I tend to agree, but I don't know what the byteslingers want/need,
because I'm a text-oriented kinda guy.  Maybe you know better, if
you're a byteslinger, I'll take your word for it.  I still think we
should ask some of the folks I mentioned above.