On 4/11/2020 9:38 AM, Soni L. wrote:

On 2020-04-11 10:27 a.m., Eric V. Smith wrote:
tl;dr: I show how the goal of Soni L's exception spaces can be addressed today, via less intrusive means. (Assuming I understand their proposal, that is.)

what's the point of having standard types if you're not supposed to use them because they mask bugs?

what if you end up with a nested call to your own library and catch it at the wrong place? (or, indeed, someone else also uses this technique but somewhere along the way a built-in exception is being caught)

you're just delaying the issue/shifting it around, instead of solving it once and for all.

You show no examples where your proposal addresses those issues but mine doesn't.

Your responses sound like the only thing you're interested in is having your proposal accepted, not in the problem that needs to be solved. The fact that you don't address some of my points (for example: changes to intermediate libraries, which your proposal requires) just reinforces this impression. As such, I'm going to drop out of this discussion.

Eric