That's what I did on my first day :D
Setting up my dev environment for the first time, the 'run this to make sure it
is set up' script was failing. After walking the debugger through several 'this
should not happen' oddities, the developer that was helping me eventually
figured out I was running with '-O'. Ended my first day with "No-one uses -O,
don't use it."

After spending some time thinking about it, I concluded that I can't be the
only developer to be in this situation. I think that if the bar was higher than
'Don't use -O' for using assertions as part of program logic, people new to the
language wont be as likely to pick up this habit.