On 21/05/2020 15:29, Thierry Parmentelat wrote:

On 21/05/2020 15:09, Thierry Parmentelat wrote:
clearly the experienced Python programmers are not the main target here
our 7-year old schoolboys are used to typing é's and ç and ü’s and À’s, and
this is Europe, not China, so...

You say that, but it is a source of endless annoyance to me that the Linux UK
Keyboard doesn't offer AltGr shortcuts for a c-cedilla.  It makes addressing my
colleague François quite a pain :-/

Yeah well, if the whole english-speaking keyboard industry shares the feelings
expressed on this thread, it’s no wonder ;-)

I suggest you take a look at the US-international (not sure there is a
UK-international) input method,
that I think is available on all 3 OSes in one form or another, and that is
cool for that sort of things
(the keyboard I am using right now is a regular qwerty keyboard with no alt-gr
modifier)

and the other way around I can assure you that coding with a regular French
keyboard - the infamous AZERTY thingy - is something you don’t want to have to
do; you’d need alt-gr to enter a mere { - and digits come through shift- !

Oh, I have had to use AZERTY, while I was on holiday in Quebec. I quite agree!

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd