On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 10:44 AM Rob Cliffe <rob.cli...@btinternet.com>
wrote:

> On 07/08/2020 16:58, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 8:15 AM David Mertz <me...@gnosis.cx> wrote:
>
>> I think getting Guido on board would be a huge step.  Python has added
>> quite a bit of new syntax since 2014, and Guido himself is currently
>> advocating another new big change (pattern matching).  His opinion may have
>> shifted.
>>

> Alas, it hasn't. Language design is not an exact science, and my gut still
> tells me that inline exceptions are a bad idea.
>
> Understood.  But that's a bit of a debate-stopper;  it would be helpful if
> you could articulate it more clearly.

It's not me you have to convince, it's the SC.

I personally don't want to debate this again -- if I tried to articulate my
arguments, people would just try to come up with counter-arguments, and I'd
be forced into a debate I have no interest in.

If you wanted to sway me, maybe you could write a static analyzer that
tries to measure what fraction of try/except statements have exactly this
form:

try:
    some_var = some_expression
except SomeException:
    some_var = some_other_expression

You can probably piggyback that on an existing static analyzer like flake8
or pylint. And for your corpus you could download the 1000 most popular
packages from PyPI (
https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Tools/peg_generator/scripts/download_pypi_packages.py
).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*