On 8/08/20 4:09 am, Ricky Teachey wrote:
If that incongruity were to be fixed, it seems to me it would become *obvious* that the semantic meaning of ` m[1, 2, a=3, b=2]` should definitely be:

m.__get__(1, 2, a=3, b=4)

It would certainly achieve that goal. The question is whether it would
be worth the *enormous* upheaval of replacing the whole __getitem__
protocol.

It's hard to overstate what a big deal that would be. The old protocol
would still be with us, complicating everything unnecessarily, for a
very long time. It took Python 3 to finally get rid of the __getslice__
protocol, and I don't think anyone has the appetite for a Python 4 any
time soon.

--
Greg