On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 04:18:42AM +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
> PEPs don't get updated as future requirements cause changes in the
> language. They remain as they were: the proposal. Changing the name
> because of a change in the PEP's metadata seems like a very backwards
> way to do things; among other things, it would lead people to consider
> "PAPs" to be somehow authorative while "PEPs" are not, which would
> leave informational and process PEPs in an awkward situation of being
> neither non-accepted nor accepted, and would also encourage people to
> treat the "PAP" as superior to the documentation. Neither is, in my
> opinion, an advantage. Additionally, changing the *name* of a document
> means that every reference has to be changed, which is an absurd waste
> of time.

This is very well said. And I'll add that much of this remains in close
analogy to RFCs.

> The only advantage you've offered is some relatively weak notion that
> it ceases to be a proposal once it's accepted, and since "PAP" would
> still have the word "Proposal" in it, you're not really even changing
> that.

The suggestion seems to target situations where a PEP#### is referred
to, but is simultaneously
- so well-understood that one doesn't need to look it up to see what it
  says,
- and yet so unknown that it's not clear what its status is.

This seems so rare that maintaining different names sounds far more
troublesome.

> Let's not waste everyone's time for zero benefit. Thanks.

Indeed.

--
David Lowry-Duda <da...@lowryduda.com> <davidlowryduda.com>