> but Python isn't trying to have the "optimal cutting-edge" thing in its
> standard library.  More like "the well-established, widely-used" thing.

I also agree with this.

At present, I have confidence in zstd. There seems to be a trend that some
programmer users are switching to zstd.

Don't know if it will be popular among non-programmer users. If this happens in
the future, what path will it take?

> I feel like you making Zstd available on PyPI is wonderful, and a huge
> service to the community.

There was already a zstandard module on PyPI since 2016, but its API is
different from bz2/lzma module.
I intentionally didn't look at its implementation when implementing the module.

    https://pypi.org/project/zstandard/