29.09.20 16:26, Omer Katz пише:
> What are the use-cases for LZMA that make it qualify to be part of the
> stdlib? Why was that library included?
> I think we shouldn't discriminate. If there are a couple of use-cases users
> need and the implementation is sufficiently stable, I see no reason not to
> include those libraries in stdlib.

That method was very popular for compressing data at that time (and I
think it is still popular). It was supported by the tar utility, was
included in the zip file specification, was used for distributing source
archives and was used for compressing packages in Linux distributives.
It made bzip2 mostly obsolete.

In Python it was needed for distutils.