Nick.  I think you should realize that I—and a number of the other people
who dislike your elliding the difference between equality and identity—also
teach beginning programmers.

> 1. You could use "is", and say "It's most proper to use "is" when
> comparing to certain values, including None which we will explain later.
> For now,you just need to know that "is" plays a role similar to == here -
> testing if the thing is None." That would be fine. "I'm going to explain
> that later" is not that rare a thing to say in this course.

YES. This is the obvious and correct approach.

> 2. You could just use == like you do with strings and ints, and mention
> "it's more proper to use "is" with None here, and we'll start doing that
> when we get to "is" organically."

If you don't forget that footnote every time you show code, I guess this is
a less-good, but not horrible, approach.