On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 10:32 AM David Mertz, Ph.D. <david.me...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Most Pandas read methods take either a path-like argument or a file-like
> argument, and figure out which it is by introspection when called.
> Actually, most of them even accept a URL-like argument as well
>
> I don't think this is a terrible approach. It doesn't make things quite as
> explicit as the standard library generally does.

The folks in favor of adding this to json are split between overloading
load() (my preference) and adding a new, explicit method: loadf() or
something like that. Either way, it's useful. I honestly don't get the
objection. MY takle is that mosto f the core devs are doing "systsms
programming" rather than "scripting" -- which means that they a:

Want to be more explicit and robust
Need more flexibiilty around various file-like objects
Don't mind a bit more expertise required. (e.g. specifying the encoding
correctly)
Don't mind  a couple extra lines of code.

So why add a function to make it simple and easy to read a file fro a
path-like?

I really wish the core devs would remember how useful Python is as a
scripting language, and how many people use it that way.

Pandas is a good example, I lot of folks use it in a scripting context, so
it provided features that make it easy to do so.

-CHB