On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 3:53 AM Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The 160 units would be more likely to have collisions though. Also,
> the base and derived SI units will be used with magnitude prefixes,

The supposed 160 are far fewer than I use on a daily (or at least weekly)
basis.  Yes, all the rest are convertible, but that's not how they're
actually used.  A hectare or acre represents the square of a unit of
distance (and a constant).  But no one (realtors or land surveyors goes
through the large inconvenience of converting units, constants, and
multipliers, when they work with the units.

And no one baking a cake cares that you can cube a distance to get a (dry)
volume of flour.

Reams are a "unitless" constant of 500, but no one ever uses them for
things other than paper... plus that fact that they used to be 480, so the
unitless number itself has an implicit date attached to it.

Yes... if you ignore the real world, and real users of Python, units can be
made so simple as to potentially be syntax.

In the real world, and as I stated, 160 is at least an order of magnitude
too low.