On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 04:44:58PM -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:

> Beyond that, do we make Python smart enough to, for example, convert
> `km*km` to `km^2`, or do we let libraries provide their own functions?  I'm
> inclined to let libraries provide their own, as they could also implement
> unit conversions as desired.

There already are libraries for units in Python:

https://pypi.org/project/units/

https://pypi.org/project/quantities/

https://pypi.org/project/Unum/

https://pypi.org/project/Pint/

It would be kind of nice if there was a little less wild conjecture
about units and more consideration of the state of the art :-)

(This is not aimed specifically at you Ethan, just a general observation
of the discussion in this thread.)