On 8/04/22 7:03 pm, Christopher Barker wrote:
Are you SURE your accounting software is doing the right thing?  ;-)

Well, I've only ever seen precision problems manifest themselves
once, and that was when I wrote a script that used repeated
multiplications by 10 as part of a process to convert a number
into words. I had to put some rounding steps into that to make
it work properly.

Other than that, if you were adding up about a billion monetary
amounts in one go without any rounding, you might get a problem.
I've never seen anyone do that, though. :-)

Also -- if it uses 64 bit floats, it'll have problems with trillions of dollars :-)

If your business is that big, you would not be using this particular
accounting package!

--
Greg