On Wed, Apr 06, 2022 at 08:36:35PM +0100, Paul Moore wrote:

> compactness isn't typically regarded as a significant
> selling point for a proposal.

I would word that differently.

Compactness *alone* isn't typically regarded as a *compelling* selling
point, and *excessive* compactness is regarded as a negative.

("Excessive" may be subjective. But we're not trying to emulate Perl or
APL.)

> It's not as close to natural language as "30 ms", but again, that's a
> fairly minor disadvantage in these types of discussion (and opens up a
> lot of debate about subjective issues like what "looks natural").

And then you have a problem that units in natural language is ambiguous.
5ft 6in is not an area.

The Unix program units tries to deal with the ambiguity by introducing a
second division symbol, |, and Frink deals with it by just telling the
user to use parentheses where needed.

> I don't know why .decompose() is needed, but again that's an
> implementation detail of astropy.

Correction: it is part of the astrophy interface. Other libraries have
different interfaces.