> What does it *really* matter which of these you write?

> that's just arguing over the colour of the bikeshed.

> you have shown nothing to justify why unit support must be built into the
> language itself.

I did what I could, but I'm not going to try and justify any more. At the end
of the day, units are a core part of science and engineering. Scientists and
engineers are freaking passionate about units. More and more of them are also
being expected to write code to do their jobs. To me that says it's going to
happen at some point. It might be 10-20 years, and it might not be Python. But
there will be a programming language, likely built on what Python is today,
with native support for SI base units and derivatives. The unit torque vs unit
unit energy problem will also be resolved. With support at the native level,
the language syntax, parsers, standard library and third party libraries will
have an enhanced ability to support any locale's version of units, as well as
the varieties of dimensionless quantities that have been mentioned - like A/A
and V/V. Such is my prediction.