Peter Hansen wrote:
Roel Schroeven wrote:

Peter Hansen wrote:

How have
you proven that it is not *that* program which is at fault?)

It would surprise me: even if it consumes much CPU-time, memory and other resources, each instances returns all resources when it exits.

I agree with that statement, but you assume that the program *is*
exiting.  And your initial analysis with "fake_nmap" suggests
that, at least to the extent of having leftover cmd.exe's kicking
around, maybe it is not.

I see. The number of cmd.exe's running was not *that* big though: about 5-10 I would say. And their PID's kept changing.

I took a look with Process Explorer from sysinternals, which shows the processes as a tree instead of a simple list. Apparently each fake_nmap is a child of a cmd.exe, meaning that os.popen indead uses the shell to run processes. I wouldn't be surprise if cmd.exe would be the culprit here.

--
"Codito ergo sum"
Roel Schroeven