Grant Edwards wrote:

If the two computers are in no way connected via any type of
network, then the two programs won't be able to talk to each
other.

The programs can't create a network, they can only use one that
already exists.

But isn't that the point of the program, to create a network between the two computers? Isn't that what the host and port are used for, to open a connection?

(Just to clarify, when I say "in no way connected", I don't mean not connected to the internet in general. I know they need access to the internet for any kind of networking program to work at all.)