Grant Edwards wrote:

"home network" is pretty much a meaningless term, so you can
use it however you want.  My guess is that all the "wizard" did
was set up file and print sharing between two computers that
were already on the same network and could already talk to each
other.

Yes, you're right. AFAIK, that was the only effect of what I did.

IOW, if both computers were able to access the internet
via a single cable modem before you ran the wizard, then it's
quite likely they could have communicated with each other as
well (using the two python programs or any other network aware
applications).

So in the case of me trying this with a friend who lives far away, how would these two scripts work if we wouldn't be on the same connection?