Marco Bizzarri wrote:

I would like to make  this available to the whole project. I suspect I
could put it in the package __init__.py... in that way, the
__builtins__ namespace should have it... am I right?

the __init__ module for package "foo" defines the contents of the "foo" module; it doesn't add anything to the builtin namespace.

Diez made a typo in his post, btw. To add your own builtins, you should add them to the "__builtin__" module (no plural s):

     import __builtin__

     try:
         any
     except NameError:
         def any(iterable):
             for element in iterable:
                 if element:
                     return True
             return False
         __builtin__.any = any

     try:
         all
     except NameError:
         def all(iterable):
             for element in iterable:
                 if not element:
                     return False
             return True
         __builtin__.all = all

The "__builtins__" object is an implementation detail, and shouldn't be accessed directly. And I hope I don't need to point out that adding custom builtins nillywilly is a bad idea...

</F>