On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 05:37:44 -0000, Paul Rubin <"http://phr.cx"@nospam.invalid> wrote:

"Rhodri James" <rho...@wildebst.demon.co.uk> writes:
In that case I'd second the suggestion of taking a long, hard look
at the Linux core locking and synchronisation primatives.

Do you understand what the issue is, about CPython's reference counts?
Do you have any idea how often the interpreter updates them?  Even
using LOCK INCR (raw machine instruction, not portable C, no operating
system involvement), manipulating the ref counts would be around 100x
slower than it is now.

You asked a question about CPUs with atomic update, strongly implying
there were none.  All I did was supply a counter-example, and observe
that neither this nor the question were in fact helpful.

My inability to spell "primitive", on the other hand, is all my own
fault.