Steven D'Aprano wrote:
But it's not "practically every function". It's hardly any function at all -- in my code, I don't think I've ever wanted this behavior. I would consider it an error for function(42) and function([42]) to behave the same way. One is a scalar, and the other is a vector -- they're different things, it's poor programming practice to treat them identically.

(If Matlab does this, so much the worse for Matlab, in my opinion.)

There's actually good reason to do this in heavily matrix-oriented specialized languages; there are numerous applications where scalars and 1x1 matrices are mathematically equivalent.

--
Erik Max Francis && m...@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
 San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Skype erikmaxfrancis