Simon wrote:
On Aug 2, 5:51 am, Dave Angel <da...@ieee.org> wrote:
<snip>
I don't understand your comparison to Foxpro.  read on.

As your code was last posted, you don't need a return value from
init_Exec()  Every function that doesn't have an explicit return will
return None. And None is interpreted as False in an "and" expression. If you had an "if" around the whole thing, then you'd care.

DaveA

All I meant by the FoxPro comment was the idea of using the equal sign
without a variable to throw away the result.  Also in FoxPro there is
no such thing as automatically returning None.  If there is no
explicit return then True is returned.

Thanks I did not know that None is interpreted as False.

Simon

To throw away the result of an expression in Python is even easier. Just don't use it.
      func1() and func2()
is a valid expression whose result is not used. And func2()'s result is therefore irrelevant. But shortcircuiting means that func2() is only called if func1() returned False (or something equivalent to it, like 0 or an empty list)