* Benjamin Kaplan:
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Alf P. Steinbach <al...@start.no> wrote:
ActiveState is simplest to install.

However, given what I've now learned about the current situation wrt.
versions of Python, where Python 3.x is effectively a new language, and
where apparently ActiveState has no installer for that, I'm rewriting to use
the "official" distribution.

It has some bugs in the installer and is in many respects incompatible with
the information the student can find and will most easily stumble on on the
net, even the sites that the 3.1.1 documentation links to (e.g. now
"tkinter" instead of "Tkinter", now "/" does not perform integer division
and there goes my example of that, so on), but it's a more clean language.

ActiveState does have Python 3 installers. They've had them almost
since the day it was released. It's just not the default because many
of the libraries people use haven't been ported yet.

https://www.activestate.com/activepython/downloads/

Oh well, thanks, but now I've spent some time on *reworking* the text (it took some time because I had to uninstall and install again to create new screenshot, and, thus discovered the module docs server in the mainstream distribution :-).

Is there such a thing also in the ActiveState 3.x distribution?

Since Python has so many batteries included I'm fairly sure that 3rd party libraries won't be needed. Or, I can probably wing it if necessary.

Cheers,

- Alf