Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
* Ethan Furman:

Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

* James Harris:

You get way too deep into Python in places (for a beginner's course in
programming). For example, "from now on I’ll always use from
__future__ in any program that uses print."

Sorry, but I think that hiding such concerns is a real disservice.

The disservice is in teaching folks to use non-standard elements, which is (sort-of) what __future__ is. Changes to the language are experimented with in __future__ and can change from one release to the next. If memory serves, the with statement is an example of having different behavior when it was moved out of __future__ and made a standard part of the language.

That's a bit of a straw man argument.

You don't agree, so it's a straw man? You didn't know, and when the information is pointed out, it's a straw man?

I used "from __future__" to write forward-compatible calls of print, so that those examples would not mysteriously work or not depending on the Python version.

Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Dec 23 2008, 15:10:54) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> from __future__ import print_function
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: future feature print_function is not defined

Hmmm... Doesn't seem to work in 2.5. So much for not working on a different version.

I did not use it to access experimental features.

From what I've seen of your posts so far, you wouldn't have known if the print in __future__ was slightly different from the actual print in 3.x anyway.

However, I didn't know then that the language has changed so much in 3.x that it isn't practical to aim at general forward compatibility or version independence.

And I didn't know until your comment above that some features, apparently, only exist in __future__ but are not part of the language, subject to change.

Which is precisely the point raised by several -- writing a book for novices, while still a novice, is going to be risky... especially if you keep disregarding good advice about what to include and exclude.

Is there a current example?

And, just a suggestion, would it not be better to have a different name for such experimental (as opposed to future language version) features, e.g. "from __experimental__", differentiating between forward compatibility in e.g. production code, and trying out experimental subject-to-change features?

You're missing the point. If it's in __future__ it's subject to change. Most likely it won't be a drastic change, but it *can* change. The 'experimental' is more along the lines of "hey, this is coming down the pike, let's do some stress-testing so we can nail down the final implementation".

~Ethan~