On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 00:49:50 -0000, Alf P. Steinbach <al...@start.no> wrote:

* Rhodri James:
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:20:20 -0000, Alf P. Steinbach <al...@start.no> wrote:

* Rhodri James:
 This is a weird attribution style, by the way.  I don't think it helps.

That's a pretty weird thing to comment on.

And as far as I can see the comment doesn't make sense except as an attempt to find something negative to say.

But anyway, the point about '*' was, once upon a time, that it made for a very clear style of quoting in old newsreaders. Nowadays the tools are generally of lesser quality (e.g. I'm using Thunderbird). And so it doesn't really have much of that advantage left, but I'm using it anyway; I can be pretty stubborn about issues of quality.

I'm struggling to recall as single instance of this in all of my Usenet
days.  And failing.

And with that, I officially give up on you.