Hello:
Thanks all for your information and ideas. I like the idea of open source; I have a fairly large (or large, by my standards anyway) project that I am working on that is open source.

Here's kind of what I want to prevent. I want to write a multi-player online game; everyone will essentually end up connecting to my server to play the game. I don't really like the idea of security through obscurity, but I wanted to prevent a couple of problems. 1) First I want to prevent people from hacking at the code, then using my server as a test for their new setups. I do not want someone to gain some extra advantage just by editing the code.
Is there some other solution to this, short of closed-source?
Thanks,