On 07/22/2011 10:58 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2011-07-22, Billy
Mays<81282ed9a88799d21e77957df2d84bd6514d9...@myhashismyemail.com>  wrote:
Properly formatted means that Python would accept the string as an
argument to float() without raising an exception.

Then you can't assume that '.' is the radix character.

When you use radix, I assume you mean the grouping separator for large numbers, not the base correct? I have always heard radix used as the base (ie base 2) of the number, as in radix sort.

No, I'm talking about the claim that you should use decmial so that
you can use rounding when the OP's example showed that rounding was
not what he wanted.

Yes, you are right.  I mistyped what I was thinking.  Let me rephrase:

decimal is needed to preserve the accuracy of the string to `number` conversion.

--
Bill