On 10/9/12 2:59 PM, D.M. Procida wrote:
Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

On 09/10/2012 14:24, D.M. Procida wrote:
What exactly is the point of a private method? Why or when would I want
to use one?

Daniele

Hardly a Python question but using a search engine could have got you
here, and rather faster :)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2620699/why-private-methods-in-the-ob
ject-oriented

Thanks. Sometimes I prefer to talk to real people on Usenet than do web
searches. Just my preference.

That's understandable, but the real people on Usenet who will answer your questions usually prefer that you do a web search first, for a variety of reasons.

  http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before

Anyway, one of the answers on that page explains that public methods are
interfaces to a class, that other things might rely on, and private ones
are for its own internal logic, that other things don't need to care
about.

In Python, using an underscore is simply a convention to note that a
method is private - it doesn't actually hide it from other things -
correct?

This is correct.

--
Robert Kern