On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Michael Herrmann
<michael.herrm...@getautoma.com> wrote:
>         notepad_1 = start("Notepad")
>         notepad_2 = start("Notepad")
>         notepad_1.write("Hello World!")
>         notepad_1.press(CTRL + 'a', CTRL + 'c')
>         notepad_2.press(CTRL + 'v')

Explicit is better than implicit.  Changing windows should be explicit
and not implified by your library.

>         notepad_1 = start("Notepad")
>         notepad_2 = start("Notepad")
>         switch_to(notepad_1)
>         write("Hello World!")
>         press(CTRL + 'a', CTRL + 'c')
>         switch_to(notepad_2)
>         press(CTRL + 'v')

Much better.

>         notepad_1 = start("Notepad")
>         notepad_2 = start("Notepad")
>         with notepad_1:
>                 write("Hello World!")
>                 press(CTRL + 'a', CTRL + 'c')
>         with notepad_2:
>                 press(CTRL + 'v')

That’s ugly, and don’t forget that your users aren’t Pythonistas most
of the time.

>         notepad_1 = start("Notepad")
>         notepad_2 = start("Notepad")
>         notepad_1.activate()
>         write("Hello World!")
>         press(CTRL + 'a', CTRL + 'c')
>         notepad_2.activate()
>         press(CTRL + 'v')

That is nice and makes sense, because a global function feels wrong,
at least for me.

> It would be extremely helpful for us if you could let me know which way of
> using the API you would prefer. If you opt for an explicit version, how would
> you call the respective method? "activate" / "switch_to" / "focus" or
> something else?

Window().focus() is the best IMO.

PS. do you plan a version for non-Windows OSes?  Also, €99 is too expensive.

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk> | GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16
stop html mail                | always bottom-post